Parts of the church date back to the late 12th century (including a pair of extremely rare wooden effigies dating from the 12th Century); it has been much added to over the years and major rebuilding was carried out during the 19th century. The tower and roof of the nave were renewed 1839-43 and in 1854 the chancel was rebuilt and the vestry added. This work was financed by the Duke of Grafton, the Earl of Pomfret and Robert Shedden (then Lord of the Manor), plus the levy of a church rate of 6d. In the 18th and 19th centuries many of the rectors were independently wealthy and contributed extensively to the cost of repairs and rebuilding. The organ (a gift of Isaac Lovell) was installed in the 1870s, and the Chapel of All Saints created in 1936.
In 1727 the first family pew was appropriated by John Williams, followed in 1742 by Joseph Lem, John Browne in 1745 and Thomas Tarry in 1770.
Why not call and see for yourself all the features of our 800 year old Church or come to one of our services (see notice board outside Church for details or go to our latest newsletter)